PGRC Winter 8K Programin United States at Greenbelt Park
PGRC membership is required to participate; become a PGRC member on step 2 of the registration process.
Online registration is closed for this category.
|About the Program|
Don't pamper yourself by hibernating for the winter.
Come out and run with us!
Introducing the 2012 PGRC Winter Running Program
January 7, 2012 - April 14, 2012
Meeting times: 8 am on Saturdays and 7 pm on Tuesdays
Meeting places: Greenbelt and College Park
Enrollment Limited to 50 participants.[/b]
Graduation race: Springburst 8k race (5 miles) on April 14, 2012
This program is perfect for:
1. The beginning runner who wants to take up running to learn the proper techniques and to increase their motivation and fitness.
2. The experienced runner who has completed one, two or three miles of running consistently and wants to continue to stay motivated and run all winter.
This 14-week program features two group runs per week, a Saturday morning run from 8 am to 9 am and a Tuesday track workout from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. In addition, on your own, you will also be expected to complete one running workout, one day of cross-training and one rest day.
Participants will complete a one-mile timed trial to determine pace group assignments.
The Saturday workouts will be based on minutes, not distance. The Tuesday workouts will be on a track and designed to improve speed.
Please review the criteria, as there will be no refunds given once the program begins. Participants who wish to discontinue their participation in the program before the end of the first two weeks of training (by January 21, 2012) will be able to transfer their registration to the 2012 Running Start Program, which will take place during the summer.
- Participants must be members of the Prince Georges Running Club at the time of program registration and when the program begins in January. If you are a member of the club, please renew your membership now. Encourage your family and friends to join the club to participate in the winter training program.
- Participants must be willing and able to come out on Saturday mornings in January, February, March and April. It will be cold outside. We run in all types of weather. We do not run when there is lightning or thunder. Decisions will usually be made before the workout begins, or if necessary, to end a workout in the event of inclement weather.
- Participants must be on time. It will be difficult to wait for late participants; once we begin, we may be in isolated areas where running alone is not recommended.
- Participants must be willing to run without music, headphones, MP-3 players and the like. We emphasize comfortable group running and staying alert and responsive to our environment. From a safety perspective, running with music and headphones is not recommended.
The cost of the Winter Training Program is $65.00 (includes group instruction, graduation race registration, and graduation race t-shirt, and the $65 registration fee is in addition to club membership)
Greenbelt and College Park.
The Graduation race is the Springburst 8k race (5 miles) on April 14, 2012.
If you have questions, please send them to Valerie Grasso, head coach, at email@example.com.