1. User permit required and fee paid before use of range is allowed. Permits must be displayed at the shooting station as required. A current photo ID for each authorized shooter must be carried on their person and made available to conservation and/or law enforcement personnel upon request.
2. All shooters must sign in at the registration / log-in station upon arrival and before commencing firing on ranges. All shooters must log out when leaving the range.
3. No person under the age of 18 is allowed to shoot without direct supervision of an adult authorized shooter unless they are at least 16 years of age and have been issued a shooting range permit by demonstrating completion of a certified / approved shooting safety course.
4. Open shooting is limited to 1 hour maximum when ranges reach full capacity in order to allow other shooters an opportunity to shoot.
5. No handling of firearms when people are forward of firing line and / or down range. All firearms must have safeties on, chambers open. No person down range until all shooting has stopped. All shooters must coordinate with each other before going down range to place, retrieve, change, or tend to targets.
6. Firearms must be handled in a safe manner at all times. Keep the chambers empty (firearms unloaded), magazines out, and cylinders open (empty) until ready to use. Reckless use of a firearm is strictly prohibited.
7. No shooting at the ground or objects on the ground or at trees or any structure. No cross shooting allowed. No indiscriminate or "blue sky" shooting. No shooting over berms. All shooting on the rifle range must be fired through one of the firing tubes. Violators of this rule will be subject to permanent loss of range privileges and will be charged with reckless use of a firearm.
8. Paper targets only. No trap shooting. Targets must be placed in / on target holder stands provided. Targets must be placed at a height of at least 36 inches. Targets may not be placed on or on top of any protective wooded backstop or barrier. No glass, cans, plastic containers, clay targets, appliances, electronics, or other materials may be used. Rounds fired must impact the bullet catch berms.
9. Target shooting is restricted to legal firearms only. No modern center fire rifle caliber larger than .50 may be fired. No fully automatic weapons are allowed. No armor piercing, incendiary, tracer, chemical, or explosive projectiles or devices designed to fire these things are allowed. Any and all explosive targets are also prohibited.
10. All shooting must be from designated shooting line platforms or stations with benches. Firearms may not be discharged in front of firing line.
11. Long guns must be shoulder fired only - no shooting from the hip.
12. The 25 yard pistol range is for handguns only, except for law enforcement personnel as part of their official training and shooting qualifications. Maximum shooting distance is 25 yards.
13. Handguns are prohibited from use on the 150 yard range. Archery shooting is not permitted on either range.
14. All shooters must pick up their paper targets, frames, spent cartridges / shell casings, and other refuse generated and place them in refuse containers provided.
15. No drugs or alcohol or persons under the influence of drugs or alcohol are allowed on the premises including the parking area.
16. Any violation of these rules or any other posted range rules may result in a citation per Iowa Code § 481A.6 or 350.10, and / or revocation of the use permit and loss of range privileges.
Hold Harmless Agreement:
I understand that visiting and using a shooting range involves a number of risks and dangers both known and unknown and that I could be seriously injured or even killed. Despite these risks, I am voluntarily participating in these activities with knowledge of the danger involved and agree to assume any and all risk of bodily injury, death, or property damage.I KNOWINGLY, VOLUNTARILY, FREELY, AND EXPRESSLY RELEASE WOODBURY COUNTY, ITS CONSERVATION BOARD, EMPLOYEES, OFFICIALS, AND VOLUNTEERS (HEREINAFTER "RELEASEES") FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS HAVING ANY CONNECTION WHATSOEVER TO MY VISIT TO OR ACTIVITIES AT THE STUB GRAY SHOOTING RANGE. This contract releases and discharges Releasees from any liability to anyone, including, but not limited to, me, my family, heirs, and legal representatives. I understand and agree that, by signing this document, I AM GIVING UP MY RIGHT TO SUE Releasees for anything that may happen to me during or because of my visit to Stub Gray shooting range and I intend this release to be to the fullest extent permitted by law. I agree to follow and abide by all shooting range rules as posted on official sign #2015-1 and certify that I am not prohibited from using or possessing firearms or ammunition under state or federal law. By my signature below, I represent that I understand and agree to each and every term of this Release and Agreement.