Run for Sight 2021 - TEAM SANTIFriday, July 30, 2021 in United States
"Close to 17 years ago, Santi and I were sharing a hospital room with a mom and her daughter. I canít remember the specifics about why we were there, nor is that really important. However, what I do remember is having time to connect with this beautiful mother-daughter duo and sharing our stories into the early morning hours. She made me promise that I would contact the Delta Gamma Center.
Our first visit to the Delta Gamma Center was with Jo Russel Brown in 2004. She shed light and vision into our lives. She gave us hope that our Santi could see and that we could teach him to use his vision. I will never forget the very first time he tracked light in a very dark closet! I will never forget the very first time he reached for an object! These moments of triumph are treasured. Santi taught us how to present the world to him. Likewise, Jo taught us how to educate others in presenting the world to him. This was a milestone in our perspective of having a son with visual impairment. I like to compare these moments with seeing your child take the very first tiny step to walk. You want to record it and share it with everyone and encourage them to keep taking that step forward.
Our first Run For Sight included our family of four. I couldnít record Santiís first time seeing an object. But, I certainly could share our joy and story with our community, friends, and family. I did this in the form of a letter asking for support for the Delta Gamma Centerís Run for Sight. To my surprise, we received a lot of love on behalf of Santi and the DGC. There were hundreds of families at the Run For Sight. It was amazing to see other families just like us! We decided to stay for the awards afterwards. Sure enough, our names were called because we had won for family fundraising for DGC. At that time, my older son, Lucas, was 2.5 years old running around and having a great time and Santi was not even a year old.
Our familyís promise, on behalf of Santi, was to support the Run For Sight every year. We wanted to help DGC as much as we could. We have fun supporting the DGC and including family and friends and our community along our journey. Our letter to gain support in 2004 has evolved into themed community fundraisers on behalf of Team Santi. Our matching colored shirts have evolved into friends sporting the TEAM SANTI custom rainbow shirt and participating in the run or walk each year, our sponsors have grown and typically wait for us to contact them about the Run For Sight. Our older son, Lucas, serves a role in volunteering at most of the events and recruiting young volunteers to help.
This year the Delta Gamma Center has asked our family to be the honorary chair. We are incredibly humbled and honored and proud to help support this amazing Center."
For the love of sight,
The Icaza Family
Contributors on Behalf of TEAM SANTI
- $2,000.00 from Anonymous - Make a Donation
- $500.00 from Terrie Desloge - Make a Donation
- $500.00 from Donna and John Carruthers - Make a Donation
- $500.00 from Anonymous - Make a Donation
- $200.00 from Amy Barondeau - Make a Donation
- $100.00 from Morgan Fannon - Make a Donation
- $100.00 from Nancy Grossnickle - Make a Donation
- $100.00 from Chrissie Kaplan - Make a Donation
- $100.00 from Lya Icaza - Make a Donation
- $100.00 from Amy Slone - Make a Donation
- $50.00 from Deanna Maysey - Make a Donation
- $50.00 from Elise Bjorkman - Make a Donation
- $50.00 from Peggy Boes - Make a Donation
- $50.00 from Adam Embick - Make a Donation
- $50.00 from G Icaza Hunt - Make a Donation
- $135.00 from Chrissie Kaplan - Virtual Events
- $135.00 from Jodi Tvrdik - Virtual Events
- $135.00 from Jovita Oruwari - In Person Events
- $130.00 from Angela Sprowls - In Person Events
- $60.00 from Tony Lucca - Virtual Events
- $35.00 from Amy Barondeau - In Person Events
- $35.00 from Anne Davis - Virtual Events
- $125.00 from Lucas Icaza, Michelle Icaza, Orlando Icaza, Santi Icaza - In Person Events
- $105.00 from Jack Ponder, Charlize Ponder, Antonia Ponder - In Person Events
- $35.00 from Pamela Lomeli - Virtual Events
- $35.00 from Olga Serrano - Virtual Events
- $75.00 from Mitch Eton, August Fullerton, Stephanie Eton - In Person Events
- $90.00 from Jeannette Icaza, Bernabe Icaza, Elyssa Icaza, Emma Icaza - In Person Events
TEAM SANTI has raised $5,580.00.
TEAM SANTI has a goal of raising $2,000.00.
If you are the owner of this homepage, please login to make changes. Use the username and password you created or used when you registered for the event associated with this homepage.